The disorder of itchy skin is referred to as pruritus. When there is itching all over body with no rash development, then the affected person can be mystified about the cause of itchiness. It can be possible that itchiness precedes rash development, which may occur after a few days of itching all over body. The itchy skin condition can be a distinctive indicator of some abnormality in the body. Hence, if the condition persists for a few days without relief, then one must visit a doctor for evaluation and treatment.
Causes of itching all over body no rash
- Dry skin: One of the primary causes of itchiness all over body with no rash development is the presence of dry skin. This condition is medically called xerosis. Skin dryness is a harmless condition, but its symptoms can result in uneasiness, discomfort and distress. It features withering of plump cells, which then leads to the development of wrinkles and fine lines on the body. Dryness of skin is not clearly visible but easily experienced by the patient due to the tautness and stretching of the skin. In some cases, dry skin may elicit flaking, scaling, roughening and skin peeling. Itchiness may be mild, moderate or severe.
- Infestation: When there is itching all over the body with no rash, then it may also signify the early phases of a scabies infection. Other kinds of parasitic infestation include occurrence of body or head lice, intestinal worms such as roundworms or hookworms and onchocerciasis, etc.
- Liver disorders: Obstructions in the flow of bile results in the development of a condition called cholestasis, which causes severe itchiness of the soles of the feet and the palms. Such itching can migrate to other regions of the body and result in itching all over body with no rash. Hepatic disease which features excessive amounts of opioid peptides in the blood and skin is another possible cause.
- Hormonal disturbances: Problems of the thyroid gland can result in changes in the levels of hormones in the body. This is especially the case in sufferers of hypothyroidism. Additionally, the patients tend to suffer from skin dryness which also precipitates itching all over body with no rash. The early stages of diabetes can also result in itchiness with no rash
- Generalized pruritus: There are a number of diseases which can result in generalized itching all over body with no rash development. A few such conditions include bullous pemphigoid, dermatitis herpetiformis, aged skin, and allergies. The patients need to consult a doctor and check the skin for sensitivity and presence of anomalies, so that relevant treatment can be given to alleviate the itchiness
- Sexually transmitted diseases: STDs and severe conditions like HIV/AIDS often tends to result in itchiness all over body with no visual rashes
- Kidney failure: The occurrence of persistent kidney disease can also lead to itchiness all over body with no rash. The itchiness is a reaction of the body due to accumulation of harmful chemicals inside the body due to failure of the kidney functions. Eventually, serious skin disorders like prurigo nodularis, nummular eczema, etc may be noticed